Saturday, September 26, 2026

The best new tech for anyone who’s sick of screens

PLUS: I have a new job and a desk to clutter up. Let’s shop!

WIRED Gear Logo - Deals of the Week

Something that really pushes my buttons these days? No buttons to push—or wheels to turn, or switches to flip. Big Tech has eradicated all friction from our interfaces, but the tactility is gone too—and so is the delight. On my phone and laptop, I’m flicking glass for hours a day. When I’m driving, I have to browse a hidden touchscreen menu to turn the A/C down two degrees. Dangerous! Our household AI agents are a spoken phrase away (and they’re likely listening to us regardless). I see my toddler going HAM on his Back to the Future–inspired busy board, and I’m jealous.


So is it any wonder that the most exciting new digital goods feel downright analog? I’m sick of screens (folding or not), and I’m not alone in coveting goods that are truly hands-on—stuff that feels like an escape from our endless cycle from one bright display to the next. I’m also frustrated with feature overkill: The humble toothbrush was already good at its job, and not everything needs a subscription. It’s OK to do just one thing and do it well!


A few things on my radar for the holidays are omitting screens entirely. The selling point: controls that actually feel satisfying to use.


  • Paperman, an app that makes your laptop screen look like paper.
  • Mudita makes a lovely, minimalist, screen-free alarm clock, designed for calmer mornings.
  • The ReMarkable Paper Pro—a premium gift for note-takers. How delightful is it? Nena Farrell’s review was written on it.
  • The Nothing Headphone (1): WIRED A/V editor Harry Rabinowitz recommended the London audio brand for its balanced soundstage, retro style, comfort, build quality, and very reasonable price. That’s all true, but I bought it because reviewers said how nice it felt to control audio with a physical roller button.
  • The FiiO Snowsky Echo Nano, a tiny screenless music player that picks up where the iPod Shuffle—Apple’s greatest gift to runners—left off.
  • Camp Snap’s cameras were unearthed from a ’70s time capsule. I shoot with a Fuji X-T50, but I’m hunting for a smaller camera to keep in my pocket. Nonnegotiable: real dials and buttons.
  • Brick my life.
  • Fellow Ode coffee grinders feature an enormous mechanical wheel. Their industrial designer told me it was inspired by his dad’s record player.
  • I love the Yoto Player—it’s a no-brainer gift for my kid this year.

COOPER FLEISHMAN

Executive Commerce Director

All products featured on WIRED are independently selected by our editors. However, we may receive compensation from retailers and/or from purchases of products through these links. Learn more.

WHAT I ACTUALLY BOUGHT

I have a new job and a desk to clutter up. Let’s shop!

  • Aer City Pack 2. A sleek and perfectly sized commuter backpack. Holds everything you need; thin enough not to piss off strangers on the subway.
  • Those Nothing Headphones (1). They’re currently 27% off on Amazon, and even cheaper Used/Like New.
  • A massive insulated Yeti tumbler.
  • Morjas The Ivy loafers, sourced from Grailed. Hat-tip to GQ’s Jordan Bowman for the IRL recommendation.
  • A walnut headphone stand. You could probably spend hundreds on something like this, but the $30 Upergo passes the “you had one job” test with flying colors. And it holds a pen!
  • I needed a 2-in-1 charging stand for my iPhone 16 Pro and AirPods Pro 3. I followed Simon Hill’s lead and bought a Belkin. (Read Simon’s guide here.)

THE SMARTER BUY

Prime Big Deal Days are coming. Deals expert Louryn Strampe handpicked three items to start with. Here’s your cheat sheet.

WHAT I’M READING

The best new stuff on WIRED.

An EV Pickup Truck That’s Not for Jerks

 

And 15 other brilliant products designed by and for women.

READ MORE

The iPhone 18 Pro Is Actually Pretty Repairable

 

For Apple, this iFixit score is progress.

READ MORE

These Smart Glasses Are Meant to Map Your Mind

 

Viture’s first display-free smart glasses have bone-conduction microphones to privately record your daily musings.

READ MORE

This Little Mac Is a Lean, Mean AI Machine

 

Just make sure you upgrade the RAM.

READ MORE

Keep the Party Going With the Soundboks Rider

 

Finally, a compact portable speaker that prioritizes sound quality.

READ MORE

A New Luggage Set That Flies High for Less

 

Testing Quince’s homage to Away suitcases.

READ MORE

The Best of WIRED in Your Inbox

Was this forwarded to you? Sign up.

Plus, find all of our newsletters.

This email was sent to you by WIRED. To ensure delivery to your inbox (not bulk or junk folders), Please add our email address, wired@newsletters.wired.com, to your address book.

View our Privacy Policy | Unsubscribe

Copyright © Condé Nast 2026. One World Trade Center, New York, NY 10007. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment